Use the directions below to learn how to install and setup the Force.com IDE. Once you follow the steps below you will be up and running!
Java SE Development Kit (JDK), Runtime Environment 7 (Java download page)—the plug-in will fail to load if you don’t have the full Java 7 JDK (note: the full JDK is not the default JRE installation on Mac OS X)
- Install Eclipse using the new Eclipse Installer.
- Select the ‘Eclipse IDE for Java Developers’ distribution is strongly recommended
|Mac OS X||Windows||Linux|
·For Windows, the recommended location to install Eclipse is in the root directory of your C: drive, at C:/Eclipse
- Once installed, you need to setup a workspace, this is where you will save all of your projects. Make sure to check the box to use this as your default workspace.
Install the Force.com IDE
- Eclipse and click Help > Install New Software….
- Click the Add.. button on the Available Software Screen
- In the Add Repository dialog, set the Name to “Force.com IDE”and the Location to https://developer.salesforce.com/media/force-ide/eclipse45. For Spring ’16 (Force.com IDE v36.0) and earlier Force.com IDE versions, use http://media.developerforce.com/force-ide/eclipse42.
- Check the box next to the Force.com IDE plug-in and click Next.
- In the Install Details dialog, click Next.
- In the Review Licenses dialog, accept the terms and click Finish.
- Eclipse downloads and installs the Force.com IDE and any required dependencies. When installation is complete, you will be prompted to restart. Click Yes.
- When Eclipse restarts, select Window > Perspective > Open Perspective > Other, select Force.com and click OK.
You are now ready to develop and customize Force.com applications in Eclipse!
Note: When you create a new project, you might be prompted about a new master password. This is a separate password of your choosing required by Eclipse secure storage, and is not associated with your Force.com IDE credentials. For details on Eclipse secure storage, see the Eclipse Workbench User Guide.